Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Let's Take Time to Remember


Three FDNY Firefighters Raise the AmericanFlag in the World Trade Center Rubble.Photographed by Thomas E. Franklin on September 11, 2001.Photograph ©2001 The Record (Bergen County, N.J.).Photo Credit: Thomas E. Franklin, Staff Photographer
Do you remember where you were on the crisp, clear September Tuesday six years ago? I remember our nations airways being shut down for what seemed like days. I remember the confusion. Weeks later, I remember speaking to college friends that worked in the WTC that day. I remember the playing of the Southern Columbia - Mount Carmel game was originally in question. Do you remember?
A few months later, I went to my college website to look at alumni affected by 9/11. I looked at a name of a football player I remembered from watching his skill on the field. Jeff Dingle was a Villanova University running back with amazing skill. I remember reading the account of his date with fate. He was not at his regular office, but at a business breakfast at the Window of the World restaurant that Tuesday.
I am taking timeout to remember. Six years ago, Nick Gallinot was a seventh-grade student. Last season Gallinot was a rock on a Southern Columbia defense that smothered the competition. This fall Nick is defending the country in the uniform of the United States Marines. Today, let's take time to remember.

No comments: