Thursday, November 29, 2007

A Day of Thanks!

Today marks an important milestone for me. It has nothing to do with birthdays or other joyous events. November 29, 2007 marks five years since I first displayed signs of colon cancer. I like to mark my cancer anniversary on this date. I was one of those cases without any symptoms. I went from not a worry in the world in the world on Thanksgiving Day on the November 28th to colon resection surgery just eight days later on December 6th. Biopsy results were given to me Friday, December 21st......Merry Christmas!!! Finally, on December 31st, 2002 I was diagnosed of having Stage IIa colon cancer at age 36..........Happy New Year!!!! Pick my anniversary, I could use anyone of them.

Everything happened very fast. I went from your normal 36-year old with a wife and two sons aged 3 and 1 to cancer survivor. At the time of my staging, chemotherapy was presented to me as an option. My regimen would consist of 5FU and Leukavorin and physically I should be able to handle it. My doctor indicated that I was young and the chemo would give me a stronger chance at survival. My age was a definite factor in accepting the treatment. Twenty-four treatments later and I was finished with chemo in August of 2003.


THE PAST FOUR YEARS
I found out from the very beginning that each cancer case is unique onto the person and family it has afflicted. Like many of the survivors I have met and spoke to, we had some of the same feelings. More of the common ones were anxiety at the end of treatment, worrying over ever pain and the thought of recurrence.
Undergoing chemotherapy gave me a dry-eye condition that I have to this day. Through a strange twist, it led me to email the mother of a younger survivor who I read about in my local newspaper. I had asked if she knew of anyone with the severe dry-eye through chemo. I was the first to have this at my treatment center. One thing led to another and today we co-chair a colon cancer advocacy group in central PA. I also met some fine people at the Colonclub.
Our advocacy group stresses education on colon cancer to the general public. We also advocate for the Pennsylvania Legislature to pass SB146 or HB972. These bills would mandate insurance companies cover the cost of colon cancer screenings according to American Cancer Society guidelines.
EVERYDAY
Life has returned to about 98% of normal. I have the scars and we could all use some more energy. Maybe hitting 40 has something to do with it. One thing I try not to do is take everything for granted. The good times are even better and the bad times are not so bad at all. As the high school football season is coming to a close in a few weeks there will officially be four champions. Win or lose enjoy your trip there, your teammates, and your family and community support. These will probably be the things you remember most. They will last a lifetime.

No comments: