Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Jon Lester and Ted Kennedy

A lot has happened in the last two days on the cancer front. The Boston Red Sox pitcher Jon Lester pitching a no-hitter two years removed from a cancer diagnosis and Senator Edward Kennedy being diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor. Although the two cancers and the one I experienced are very different, all three of us have and will experience the same things.

Unlike television, there isn't any beating around the bush. When they know or feel confident, the doctor comes out and simply say, "You have cancer." Depending on the person, you can go from why me to how are we going to beat this thing.

Receiving anykind of treatment can be a lonely thing with or without a support system. Early in my treatment in the dead of winter, I would look out my window IV in my chest and wonder if I will be around next year? Will I be the same? I'm sure that moment will come, it does for all of us.

For Jon Lester like Lance Armstrong made it back to the top of his professional sport and you could only cheer for both. Not many people will ever know if Kennedy had his "why me" moment and quickly move on. At age 76, the odds are against him. Keep in mind survival statistics only tell what happened in a certain defined past. They cannot predict the individual or future.

I hope people could refrain from the "Kennedy Curse" syndrome. Ted is 76. He has been able to lead his extended family for 40 years. If Kennedy makes it back to the Senate Floor for one more vote or one more debate he will have Jon Lester or Lance Armstrong moment. There wiil be no assasin's bullet, plane crash, or skiing accident. Kennedy has a chance to embrace all the compassion people have to offer. It is almost a gift.

Senator Kennedy has fought many battles and championed many causes. Godspeed in your greatest role yet to come, cancer survivor.

NOTE: A friend passed away recently, three weeks after being diagnosed with cancer. He was buried in full Red Sox memorabilia. A week after his funeral, a cancer survivor pitches a no-hitter. I'm a avid Phillies fan, but don't bet against the Red Sox.

No comments: