Monday, August 11, 2008

Pennsylvania Fall Sports Get Underway Today

Today is the official first day of practice for the fall sports programs. For those of us that only think there is one sport in the fall, today is the first day of "double sessions".

I had an interesting weekend, on Friday I went to see the Scranton Yankees and believe it or not it was my first trip ever to PNC Field.

On Sunday, I was caught in a one-hour and forty-seven minute rain delay in Philadelphia. Nearly 30 years to the day when I went to my first game, a 3-0 win by the Phils, my youngest son went to his first game on Sunday. Back in 1978, Steve Carlton pitched a shutout, Mike Schmidt hit a homer, and the game was over under 2 hours.

Yesterday, Chase Utley provided the fireworks. Two years later the Phils were World Champions and Schmidt and Carlton ended up on Cooperstown.

Finally, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that former the PSU lineman was at Pitt's practice over the weekend. Marks would enroll as a walk-on and still have to sit out the 2008 season. If the move does come to pass, Marks would be reunited with high school teammate, Henry Hynonski.

No comments: