Wednesday, October 6, 2010

High Hopes for the Playoffs?

Take it away, Harry!!!!!!





Almost to the day of Don Larsen's perfect game in Game 5 of the 1956 World Series, Roy Halladay no-hits the Reds in his first postseason start. Halladay walked one and threw 24 of 28 first pitch strikes.

Halladay becomes the first pitcher since Nolan Ryan in 1973 to throw two no-hitters in the same season.

Many towns in central and eastern PA have been hit hard by this Great Recession. Many a Phillie Phan has been hit hard. It is when I think of two movie quotes:

The first by character Terrance Mann in the movie, Field of Dreams:

The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Ray. People will most definitely come. 
Growing up in the 70's and 80's, I had seen the Phillies in the playoffs in '76, '77, '78, '80 and '83.  The constant back then was Harry Kalas, my dad and me.  Well, dad and Harry are gone, but this game is part of my past and my son was watching along with me tonight.  It does remind of all that once was good and it could be again!!!!

Franks Papale in the movie, Invincible:

I know. That touchdown got me through 30 years at that factory. Got me through all those times your mother being sick. When I told you not to get your hopes up... didn't mean that I wasn't.

Hopefully, the effort tonight by Halladay will get many a Phillie Phan through some times when things are tough.

No comments: