Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Edward Moore Kennedy 1932-2009

Senator Ted Kennedy passed away just before midnight last night leaving behind legacy of 47 years in the Senate. His death comes just two weeks after older sister Eunice passed away.

I have only seen the Mr. Kennedy once in my life. In 1976 when I was 10, I was on vacation in Maryland and my cousins took me on a tour of Washington DC. We toured the Senate in session. I recognized Ted from the many Kennedy television special my mother had watched when I was growing up. I also recognized Senator Dole.

The easiest way to sum up the work of Eunice and Ted is through a baseball game that will be played in Pennsylvania Saturday at 10 am. The Little League World Series will host a Challenger Division game between a team from Virginia and a team from Pennsylvania. Eunice brought hope to a group of people that were not in the public view. Ted paved the way for Americans with Disabilities. Take time to notice how all have access.

Robert Scheer summed it up best about Ted Kennedy: Born of privilege, and yet absorbed with the fate of those in need.

No comments: